- The Affirmative Action Empire: Nations and Nationalism in the Soviet Union, 1923-1939
Cornell UP (2001)
- A State of Nations: Empire and Nation-Building in the Age of Lenin and Stalin
with Ronald Grigor Suny, Oxford UP (2001)
- "Interpreting the New Archival Signals: Nationalities Policy and the Nature of the Soviet Bureaucracy"
in Cahiers du monde russe
- "Modernization or Neo-Traditionalism: Ascribed Nationality and Stalinist Primordialism"
in Stalinism: New Approaches
Sheila Fitzpatrick (ed.) (1999)
- "The Origins of Soviet Ethnic Cleansing"
in The Journal of Modern History
Position: George F. Baker III Professor of Russian Studies
Specialty: Russia/Soviet Union and Central Europe; Soviet history-nationalism; Politics; Sociology; Surveillance; Islam
Full Year 2013-2014:
- History 2275hf: Subjectivities and Identities in Russia and Eurasia: Seminar
- History 81281: The End of Communism
Center for Government and International Studies-South Building
1730 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Office Hours: By appointment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org