Afsaneh Najmabadi is the Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History and of Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality at Harvard University. Her last book, Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards: Gender and Sexual Anxieties of Iranian Modernity (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2005), received the 2005 Joan Kelly Memorial Prize from the American Historical Association. With Kathryn Babayan, she co-edited Islamicate Sexualities: Translations across Temporal Geographies of Desire (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, Middle Eastern Monographs, 2008). She has recently completed Sex-in-Change: Configurations of Gender and Sexuality in Contemporary Iran (Duke University Press, 2013).
Najmabadi leads a digital archive and website, Women’s Worlds in Qajar Iran. The project was recently awarded its second two-year grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities, and it was recognized by the White House Office of Public Engagement in May of 2012.
- Islamicate Sexualities: Translations across Temporal Geographies of Desire. Co-edited with Kathryn Babayan. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, Middle Eastern Monographs (2008)
- "Beyond the Americas: Are Gender and Sexuality Useful Categories of Historical Analysis?" in Journal of Womens History 18: 1 (spring 2006): 11-21.
- Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards: Gender and Sexual Anxieties of Iranian Modernity Berkeley: University of California Press (2005)
- Encyclopedia of Women and Islamic Cultures Associate Editor, a multi-volume project, E. J. Brill (2003-)
- The Story of Daughters of Quchan: Gender and National Memory in Iranian History Syracuse: Syracuse University Press (1998)
Position: Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History and of Studies of Women, Gender, and Sexuality
Field: Middle East
Specialty: Socio-cultural transformations of gender and sexuality in Modern Middle East and South Asia
- History 2805: Gender and Sexuality: Comparative Historical Studies of Islamic Middle East, North Africa, South and East Asia: Seminar
- Studies of Women, Gender and Sexuality: 98r: Junior Tutorial)
Ground Floor G-33
Cambridge, MA 02138
Office Hours: Tuesdays 2-4pm and by appointment