Office Hours: Monday and Wednesday 2:00-2:45pm. To make an appointment, please click on the link below.
Bose's field of specialization is modern South Asian and Indian Ocean history. He obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge. His books include His Majesty's Opponent: Subhas Chandra Bose and India's Struggle against Empire (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2011) and A Hundred Horizons: the Indian Ocean in the Age of Global Empire (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2006.) In A Hundred Horizons, Bose crosses area studies and disciplinary frontiers as he bridges the domains of political economy and culture. He was a recipient of the Guggenheim Fellowship in 1997. Bose is currently writing a book titled Asia after Europe: Decline and Rise of a Continent (under contract with Harvard University Press) and working as General Editor on The Cambridge History of the Indian Ocean.
- His Majesty's Opponent: Subhas Chandra Bose and India's Struggle against Empire (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2011)
- A Hundred Horizons: the Indian Ocean in the Age of Global Empire Harvard University Press (2006)
- Modern South Asia: History, Culture, Political Economy with Ayesha Jalal (2004, 2011)
- Nationalism, Democracy and Development with Ayesha Jalal (1997)
- Credit, Markets and the Agrarian Economy of Colonial India (1994)
Peasant Labour and Colonial Capital in The New Cambridge History of India series
- South Asia and World Capitalism (1990)
- Agrarian Bengal: Economy, Social Structure and Politics in Cambridge University Press (1986)
1730 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138