Harvard-Yenching Institute Annual Roundtable, co-sponsored with the Asia Center, Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies, the Korea Institute and the Lakshmi Mittal and Family South Asia Institute
- Prof. Fu Chao-Ching, Emeritus, Department of Architecture, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- Prof. Kim Hyon-sob, Department of Architecture, Korea University, South Korea
- Prof. Liu Chen, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, China; HYI Visiting Scholar 2018-19
- Dr. Thant Myint-U, Writer, Historian, and Founder and Chairman of the Yangon Heritage Trust
- Prof. Andrew Gordon, Harvard University/Acting Director, Harvard-Yenching Institute
This year’s HYI roundtable will present an exchange of ideas about current issues of architectural preservation in Asian cities. Our panelists will focus on architecture of modern times, and in particular of the colonial era. What are the challenges, and the opportunities, facing those interested to preserve the architecture of this era and make its importance known to the present and posterity? These challenges and opportunities have political, economic, and cultural dimensions. Panelists will address the topic from one or more of these perspectives.