The History Department offers five formalized joint concentrations and will consider other joint concentrations by petition when a historical approach can be readily integrated with the other discipline.
The Department offers these pre-approved joint honors concentrations:
- in Ancient History (Greek and Roman) with the Department of The Classics,
- in East Asian History with the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
- in Near Eastern History, with the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
- in African or African-American History, with the Department of African and African-American Studies (with tracks in African or in African-American Studies)
- Anthropology and History, with the Department of Anthropology (with tracks in Social Anthropology or in Archeology)
Joint concentrations are all honors concentrations and require a senior thesis which integrates both concentrations in the joint. The thesis will be evaluated by readers in both departments and is often advised by instructors in both concentrations.